Teaching for Change
Location : S.K. Suang Punggor, Kota Belud, Sabah
Project Duration : November 2012-December 2013
Families : 204 students from 12 families
- This project focuses on improving the results of the students of SK Suang Punggor (children of Kg. Song Song and Kg. Suang Punggor) in Science, English and Mathematics subjects as well as build confidence and interaction among students.
- The program was developed through a partnership with Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS).
- The development of the modules took over two months with the involvement of 10 lectures and 30 volunteer students from UMS.
- It encompasses additional classes, motivational talks with the parents, setting up a mini library, term examinations, visits to UMS and an prize giving ceremony.
- S.K. Suang Punggor achieved significant increase in the overall passing rate for UPSR, up from 53.6% in 2012 to 64.51% in 2013.
- The results also showed improvements on the subjects of Mathematics and Science, with the passing rate going up 10%.
- Overall, based on 2013's UPSR results, the school's position was upgraded from a Band 4 school to Band 3 in the Education Ministry's 'Pencapaian NKRA Sekolah' list.
The students enjoyed the activities conducted by the UMS volunteers and were keen to attend the extra classes.